Skip to main content

The Ups and Downs of Mixed Personnality Disorder

So many ups and downs. So many mood swings. So many tears. So many days of not knowing the f*ck is wrong with me. 

Black and blue days intertwined with euphoric ones when I feel on top of my game and like I could do it all. Days when I get to work and tears silently stroll down my cheeks.

Today is one of those days where I cried in front of my screen and pondered where all the wonders of life have gone while avoiding actually working. Instead, I dive into the past to seek understanding and answers.

Back in 2017, when I visited the psychiatric ward for a couple of weeks while having a massive anxiety attack that lasted for days, I met with a psychiatrist who diagnosed a Cluster B and C mixed personality disorder: borderline, avoidant, and somewhat, narcissistic.

Mixed personality disorder is one of the most commonly diagnosed personality disorders. In one study looking at patients referred for psychotherapy, 18.4% met the diagnostic criteria for a mixed personality disorder. (1)

I never minded the tags because it helps me understand my pitfalls and because, that makes me somewhat unique, right? (there you go, narcissistic side!)

Some of us find it useful to have a diagnosis because we feel it explains and helps us to understand our difficulties, or gives us a sense of relief and validation. It may also be helpful for accessing treatment or support. Or to put a name to our experiences and connect with others. (2)

However, as the year goes by, I understand less and less how a psychiatrist I met 4 or 5 times could determine I have such heavy mental health issues. The ups and downs could mean I am hormonal, right? Could be I am going through a rough patch and it's just what life is: ups and downs, winning and losing. I wish. I really wish it was hormonal and I could take contraceptive pills and be done with it.

Nowadays, I identify more with the borderline part. But... why me? That's the core of the question. Why me? I may be able to accept the labels and learn how to deal with it but why me? Whatever deep I dig, the conclusion is the same: BD comes from a mix of genetics and environmental factors such as being neglected in childhood, having a parent with a disorder diagnosis, and being abused, just to name a few.

Oh! The further I dive into the past, the more it makes sense! Anyone?

________________________

References 

(1) Verheul R, Bartak A, Widiger T. Prevalence and construct validity of Personality Disorder Not Otherwise Specified (PDNOS)J Pers Disord. 2007;21(4):359-70. doi:10.1521/pedi.2007.21.4.359

(2) © Mind. This information is published in full at mind.org.uk

Causes - Borderline personality disorder

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No Demand for Brutal Honesty

I know nothing of what's to come Even when I try to peak through Future's curtains It terrifies me even more now I know it has nothing to do with worth I want to believe I know what's in the past Truth is, it's a never-ending chase through layers of verity As I aged, understanding shifts & colors changes But I am never closer to sincerity Authenticity is a friend I lost touch with I found out the hard way there is no demand for brutal honesty Friends I hang out too long with suffered from my anxiety Expressed through hurtful yet genuine concerns What's to come eludes me Same as how to prepare for it I am no more certain today than yesterday Certainties I used to have are gone in smoke I've come across an article written by Michelle Quirk of Psychology Today (1) about brutal honesty and I have never thought about it being ingrained into such violence. According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary,  the word brutal " applies to people, thei...

One day, I will be famous

Souvenir It's early morning, the sky is an endless blue and the sun is making the asphalt glitter.  I stand beside my long time friend Marie; w e are in front of her house that has just been renovated.  We are not 10 yet and wearing summer clothes.  Something has happened last night but I don't quite remember whyat. I clearly remember the longing to be somewhere else, someone else. And I tell her: "One day I will be famous." I didn't happened yet. Will it? Maybe not, unless I am able to shake that sens of unworthiness that lingers on my soul and makes me withdraw from projects that might bring me further down a more... glorious? path. Just writing the word "glorious" leaves me somewhat uncomfortable. If I was to ever reach some sort of stardom, would I shy away from it? I long for that recognition, that sens of being important when, clearly, those who have reach these places are not happier than I. I stated before that if it's not on the Inte...

Touching base

 As an almost 40-something woman, I wonder - every day - how I got here. How to deal with my trauma responses and my defense mechanisms. How to be a good friend, a supportive mom, an enjoyable coworker, a loving girlfriend, a present daughter, and a  ... sister. How do I juggle my many titles? Do I need to understand my back to look forward? And if yes, why? I was born and raised in a rural area, the second of 4 brothers and sisters. I love cats and reading. I enjoy silence. I listen the most to female artists. I write. I work as an administrative assistant. I have a toddler who's almost 18 months now. This list peaks a tiny bit into my circumstances. It doesn't tell you who I am though. What made me? I have been searching my past for so long now and the only way I know how to make sense of it is writing. Yes, I could write a journal (and I do) but I need feedback. I need to dig and show something for the time spent. So here I am, trying to understand the journey that brings u...