Skip to main content

No Demand for Brutal Honesty

I know nothing of what's to come
Even when I try to peak through Future's curtains
It terrifies me
even more now I know it has nothing to do with worth

I want to believe I know what's in the past
Truth is, it's a never-ending chase through layers of verity
As I aged, understanding shifts & colors changes
But I am never closer to sincerity

Authenticity is a friend I lost touch with
I found out the hard way there is no demand for brutal honesty
Friends I hang out too long with suffered from my anxiety
Expressed through hurtful yet genuine concerns

What's to come eludes me
Same as how to prepare for it
I am no more certain today than yesterday
Certainties I used to have are gone in smoke

I've come across an article written by Michelle Quirk of Psychology Today (1) about brutal honesty and I have never thought about it being ingrained into such violence. According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary,  the word brutal "applies to people, their acts, or their words and suggests a lack of intelligence, feeling, or humanity." so it really shouldn't be a surprise to me. But it is. Sadly, it is. It puts a very harsh light on my past actions. How could I have ever thought being brutally honest with people I care about was a good idea?

I am a born and raised rural 90's kid meaning I am a product of my generation. Both my parents didn't care about our feelings or needs. After all, they were raised by either violent parents or checked-out one's (2). Before the first friend I hurt, I never truly had one. And God knows I've craved having a best friend my whole life! 

I have been brutally honest with two very close friends (they are not my friends anymore - they abandoned our friendship after the fight) in the past. Honest as a person who's been confided in a lot can be. They trusted me with their secrets, their hearts, their doubts. They trusted me to be a good friend: kind, compassionate, available. I don't know if I could have been those things for those two women. I was absent from my own life in my early twenties: I didn't want to inhabit my body nor my mind. Whatever my excuses are, I could have known better if only I had started my healing journey before.

Thoughts?
________________________

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One day, I will be famous

Souvenir It's early morning, the sky is an endless blue and the sun is making the asphalt glitter.  I stand beside my long time friend Marie; w e are in front of her house that has just been renovated.  We are not 10 yet and wearing summer clothes.  Something has happened last night but I don't quite remember whyat. I clearly remember the longing to be somewhere else, someone else. And I tell her: "One day I will be famous." I didn't happened yet. Will it? Maybe not, unless I am able to shake that sens of unworthiness that lingers on my soul and makes me withdraw from projects that might bring me further down a more... glorious? path. Just writing the word "glorious" leaves me somewhat uncomfortable. If I was to ever reach some sort of stardom, would I shy away from it? I long for that recognition, that sens of being important when, clearly, those who have reach these places are not happier than I. I stated before that if it's not on the Inte...

Touching base

 As an almost 40-something woman, I wonder - every day - how I got here. How to deal with my trauma responses and my defense mechanisms. How to be a good friend, a supportive mom, an enjoyable coworker, a loving girlfriend, a present daughter, and a  ... sister. How do I juggle my many titles? Do I need to understand my back to look forward? And if yes, why? I was born and raised in a rural area, the second of 4 brothers and sisters. I love cats and reading. I enjoy silence. I listen the most to female artists. I write. I work as an administrative assistant. I have a toddler who's almost 18 months now. This list peaks a tiny bit into my circumstances. It doesn't tell you who I am though. What made me? I have been searching my past for so long now and the only way I know how to make sense of it is writing. Yes, I could write a journal (and I do) but I need feedback. I need to dig and show something for the time spent. So here I am, trying to understand the journey that brings u...