What if all you want is a mediocre life? said the title of the article my sister sent me saying she liked it and made her feel good about herself.
First of all, I was taken aback by the use of the word "mediocre". By definition, mediocre means "of moderate or low quality, value, ability, or performance" - who want such a life? Of course, reading it cleared its meaning. She doesn't say she wants a mediocre life, she says she wants a slow, simple life where she can strive but on her own terms, not on the fast-paced, energy-draining, social-media addicted society standards. That, I can understand.
I am a word lover and using "mediocre" to describe life is, IMHO, just a click-bait. It doesn't convey the way of life she is talking about. She says she struggles with the fear of not being enough. Is it time, then, for her to accept who she is and not let the world define her?
Then, as I was reading the comment, Carole summarized my uneasiness :
______________
Reference
O'Reilly-Davi-Digui, Krista. (2016) What if All I Want Is a Mediocre Life? http://www.alifeinprogress.ca/want-mediocre-life/
First of all, I was taken aback by the use of the word "mediocre". By definition, mediocre means "of moderate or low quality, value, ability, or performance" - who want such a life? Of course, reading it cleared its meaning. She doesn't say she wants a mediocre life, she says she wants a slow, simple life where she can strive but on her own terms, not on the fast-paced, energy-draining, social-media addicted society standards. That, I can understand.
I am a word lover and using "mediocre" to describe life is, IMHO, just a click-bait. It doesn't convey the way of life she is talking about. She says she struggles with the fear of not being enough. Is it time, then, for her to accept who she is and not let the world define her?
Then, as I was reading the comment, Carole summarized my uneasiness :
Whose definition is ‘mediocre’ and are we letting someone else’s definition define us? Why? Many of the things you call mediocre I would not call them that. [...] Where does being ok with mediocre fit into that? Do we use this philosophy of it being ok not to strive, as permission to be lax and undisciplined because it’s easier and simpler, and call it a form of godliness?I am struggling with not knowing who I am, with understanding (and finding) my purpose but I wouldn't describe my life as mediocre. Average, maybe. But then again, this quest has launched my life on the path of discovery.
______________
Reference
O'Reilly-Davi-Digui, Krista. (2016) What if All I Want Is a Mediocre Life? http://www.alifeinprogress.ca/want-mediocre-life/
Comments
Post a Comment